Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 6

Today, I am thankful that I have all three of my sons still living. Almost 3 years ago, our eldest son almost overdosed on some combination of drugs and alcohol. I know it scared him, and it terrified me. I spent months praying, weeping... and flinching every time the phone rang.

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and some nurse to tell me to get to the hospital NOW. Or when a Sheriffs car would pull into the drive, I was convinced it wouldn't be my husbands -even though a "cop" car lives in our driveway daily since my husband drives one- but another deputy coming to tell me that my son was dead.

After a few months of Al Anon (for me) and some behavioral changes on the part of our son, I don't live in that kind of fear anymore. Thank the Lord!

So many obstacles have entered the paths of my boys. Wes was born at 35 weeks gestation - too early by anyones standards and yet still was able to go home 3 days after birth. Ethan was breech, was turned and hung on his own cord, and early as well. He almost didn't make it thru the pregnancy and birth. Still, he was able to go home in 3 days. Ethan also had many boo-boos as a babe: falling down a set of stairs, having a TV fall on his head, a car wreck that gave him a concussion and I think I'm missing a few things! Wyatt was miraculously saved from getting hit by a car when he decided as a toddler to wander down our long driveway and down the road to find his brothers - they were at a birthday party and Wyatt wanted to go!

Sometimes I ask God "where are you" and I just have to look at my sons to realize: He is there, right with me, every step of the way. Just let some distance get between you and your current struggle. I guarantee you will see the hand of God; the big picture, if you will.

He who is faithful to begin a good work will complete it.

Nola Gae

No comments:

Post a Comment